Jumat, 10 Desember 2010

I Remember, I Remember

I remember, I remember
The house where I was born,
The little window where the sun
Came peeping in at morn;
He never came a wink too soon
Nor brought to long a day;
But now, I often wish the night
Had borne my breath away.

I remember, I remember
The roses, red and white,
The violets, and the lily-cups
Those flowers made of light!
The lilacs where the robin built,
And where my brother set
The laburnum on his birth-day,
The tree is living yet!

I remember, I remember
Where I used to swing,
And thought the air must rush as fresh
To swallows on the wing;
My spirit flew in feathers then
That is so heavy now,
And summer pools could hardly cool
The fever on my brow.

I remember, I remember
The fir trees dark and high;
I used to think their slender tops
Were close against the sky:
It was childish ignorance,
But now 'tis little joy
To know I'm farther off from Heaven
Than when I was a boy.

Thomas hood is a British poet and humorist. He was born in London May 17, 1799, to Thomas Hood and Elizabeth Sands in the Poultry above his father's bookshop. Hood's paternal family had been Scottish farmers from the village of Errol near Dundee. The Elder Hood was a partner in the business of Varner Hood, and Sharp, and was a member of the associated booksellers. Hood's son Tom Hood claimed that his grandfather had been the first to open up the book trade with America and he had great success in new edition of old book.

I remember, I remember, is the poem that created by Thomas Hood has 4 stanzas than every stanza tell about stories that the speaker ever feel in his life. So then I remember, I remember mean from the poem the nostalgia that the speaker always said in every stanzas.

After I read this poem actually this poem was amazingly very nice poem and I really enjoyed it while reading. While I had gone through the entire poem I was forced to remember my past and feel it again.

The last two lines "often wish the night had borne my breath away" show that hood wishes he had died whilst enjoying the beauty of his youth rather than too go through the unhappy adulthood, "Those flowers made of light" is a metaphor that makes the garden symbolize such a place as the heaven garden, "And where my brother set The laburnum on his birthday, The tree is living yet!" This is the only mention of Hoods family which makes me believe that a tragic happening may have occurred, the last verse mentions fir trees and i feel that hood may have felt over protected as a child but now he is yearning for that sense of darkness and protection, the last verse also states "it was a childish ignorance but now 'tis little joy to know I’m father off from heaven than when I was a boy", in this line I think the author want to show us his childhood was just like heaven and now he has moved further away from it and is living a worst life. In this poem we can see that the author show us and inviting us to feel how his life that he felt how his childhood and compared with his adulthood.

The type of this poem is narrative that the author is talking his experience that he felt at that time. The author wants to show and bring us to the past to remember the nostalgia. What he felt at the time how the situation and he compare it with the present. So that he felt and make us also want to remember our past.

I remember, I remember, is the poem that teach us never forget your childhood that you have many memories in that time so you can smile when you nostalgia it when you feel something horrible. I like this poem so I can flashback to my old memories when I was a small child.

2 komentar:

  1. I'm so sorry miss, I'm very very late to post it because my computer has got viruses since last Friday, and all my document are lost, so I have to reinstall my computer and find the right driver to fix my computer.. once again I'm so sorry miss,, thanks before.

    BalasHapus
  2. Bayu, I feel that is analysis isn't deep. When you do analyse, it's only talking about the last two lines, than you jumped. There isnt's a clear statement, or a specific theme you want to really emphasize.
    Also, please keep your sentences short. It's difficult to grasp what you are saying.
    I like the end paragraph though. Well done.

    BalasHapus