Senin, 01 November 2010

Dreamer and Worker

Few days ago, I had words with my friend. He wasn’t just a friend but the one who teaches me how to draw, actually. Firstly, we were just talking about nothing special until a question came up and held his breath for a while. The question was, ‘what would you do when you have graduated?’ His answer was quite simple. He said that he would continue on chasing his dream. But, another question came up to mind. Somehow, I didn’t ask him again. I took a looking glass and observed some people through my imagination, instead. Well, the question was about what makes the difference if one got graduated with no dreams at all.
Firstly, I agreed to myself that people who graduated with “just a degree” would try to find a job in offices and then, take one even if, the work doesn’t fit to his interest or even his field study. For examples, my cousin, he graduated from law faculty and now he is working in a bank as a marketing development staff. Certainly, there will be nothing in his field study comes in that job. After all, he ever told me that he doesn’t like the job.
In other side, I think that a person who has dreams after got graduated, like my friend (well, I am not trying to make up good things on him). He would keep doing what he can to get it. In other words, since he has been an illustrator dreaming to become a great illustrator – who takes advertising for his field of study in college, he would keep doing on his work as an illustrator and perhaps, makes his illustration better by mixing his knowledge in advertising with his skill in making illustration. Therefore, I can’t think more about what kind of job will a bachelor takes if he got a dream instead of that.
Furthermore I nodded on myself, I found that the one who doesn’t have a dream might have bigger salary than the one who has a dream. Because, the one who doesn’t have a dream would have a fixed career like this banker cousin of mine, he will receive proper money as a payroll and his career would be better and better if does it well. Then, maybe he would buy a car after taking one year working with it.
Unlike that, my friend has to put so much effort on his pursuit. Maybe, his works couldn’t be accepted as a good illustration and be considered as a bad illustrator. Therefore, he wouldn’t get paid because no one likes his works. Quite bad, but I think that is what a dreamer does. Keep on working and never give the dream up until the condition turns out like what he has been dreaming. Perhaps, his dream would come after he died and no one really knows about it. Van Gogh put up an example of it, he become famous and his paintings aren’t cheap to afford after he died with debts all around his head. Well, if he dreamed about being a great artist, he got it even he’s not alive anymore.
Well, I couldn’t differentiate both more, after all. Because, the comparison between my cousin and my friend was all just a prediction, like I’ve said earlier, it was all through my looking glass. However, both are the same. They would be working and have a certificate mentioning both names as a bachelor. It is only what they are after that make the differences, isn’t it?

1 komentar:

  1. Cush I think it's a job well done. The comparison is very clear and the story very enjoyable.

    BalasHapus