Jumat, 05 November 2010

Let The Cover Still Works as The Cover

Dinar Mukminia Asokya

0403508020

Writing 5A


We are familiar with the quote, “don’t judge a book by its cover” but we never apply this into our life. Many times we quickly judge a new person from the first meeting by looking his or her appearance.


For me, it is natural if we do not like the way someone dresses, because we have ours super-ego that is shaped by our environment, education, and others. However, I disagree when people usually judge other people from the way they are dressing.


For example, (so sorry before) I really hate when my boyfriend ask me to find him a girl, he added, ”please, find me a girl who wearing veil”. How can we know the girls who wearing veil are really a nice person, how come? If we can dump this silly perspective, we will not see a pickpocket girl or a thief girl who is wearing veil any more. You must have written in newspaper, sometime we find a criminal thing is hiding behind a veil.


Other examples, from my own experience, I am usually judged by new people as a bad mother or a less experience mother. I ask to myself, how come people can be so bad like that? How do they know whether I am a good mother or no if they just know me for under one hour (and of course from the way I dress). They just see me as a young woman who always wears jeans and t-shirt and does not understand anything. They even shock when I tell them that I am still studying in the university. After that, they said, “If I were you, I would be so lazy to continue my study”. So, it is not my fault when I judge them as lazy people because they just tell me who they are.


If you have seen one of the episodes of “How Do I Look” on channel 241 (Indovision), you will see that people will judge someone as a nice person if they close their eyes.


That episode shows a girl who has an unique way to dress. She likes to wear a ballet skirt, a crown, and t-shirt with a printed of skull. The host brings her into a blind date with four guys. Those four guys’ eyes are closed during they have a conversation with the girl. After the date over, the host asks them about the girl, and they answer, “She is really smart and lovable, can we have a second date?”.


The host smiles to them and says, “of course, you can meet her now again”. Then the host calls the girl to meet them for the second time. What happens after that is the boys get really shock. They cannot believe that “the smart and lovable” girl is a girl who stands in front of them.


In my perspective, it will be nice and much better if we can accept any one without see whatever his or her wears. I belief, every one will be fine for us if we can accept them and try to learn how they are thinking. The truth has taught us that “not all books which have a perfect cover will have a good content too”. We can even learn many things from the book which has the simplest/ugliest cover, so why we do not try to apply it into our real life?

1 komentar: